Land Use Consultants

Land & Brand New Homes has a clear objective of being recognised as the premier Land Use Consultant in the residential redevelopment market in Sussex and the South East. Put simply, if you’re looking to sell land for development, we can help you through the process.

We work on both Immediate and Strategic Acquisitions with independent third parties and Developers in order to meet housing numbers in the UK.

Selling Land for Development

Housing Need is a topic of much debate, and we are regularly reminded of the substantial shortage of housing in the UK.  As a landowner, you can unlock the potential value of your land by selling it for development.

Our speciality is in achieving planning permission for residential redevelopment:


  • Strategic land, i.e. land that will take between 10-15 years to gain approval (read our Case Studies for examples of strategic land development)
  • Immediate land, either consented to or subject to planning, which can be developed within 12 months

Land Consultants for Trusts and Estates

Land & Brand New Homes has worked extensively with Trusts and Estates since establishing the business in 1991.  There are inherent complexities working with Trusts and Estates, and a well-managed project, communicated and delivered to all parties is a pre-requisite for a successful outcome.

Land & Brand New Homes has a proven track record in resolving various issues that arise on residential project developments for trusts and estates.

The key to guiding commercial success starts with Land & Brand New Homes listening and building relationships so we are able to provide peace of mind to all parties. The quality of our advice is based on our philosophy that “we are custodians of your Trust to get the project to fruition”.

Want to find out more? Contact us today.

Our Land Consultants have recently successfully negotiated:

County No of Plots
West Sussex 54
East Sussex 69
Hampshire 18
Kent 28

View our latest completed projects.

Types of land/property suitable for redevelopment:

Our core business is the strategic promotion of residential land through the planning system to gain the valuable planning consent that you seek. Our success to date is due to industry experience and our network of experts in their fields.

Sites for residential development come in all shapes and sizes and since 1991, we’ve helped in the planning and negotiation process of developing a variety of sites, including:

  •  Allotments
  • Barns
  • Care homes
  • Edge of town/village sites
  • Churches/graveyards
  • Farm/rural land
  • Public Houses
  • Schools
  • Service stations

Do You Want To Sell Your Land?

If your land falls into one of the above categories and is a minimum of 1 acre, find out in one of three easy steps:

  1. Contact our Land team on
  2. Complete the form and we’ll contact you
  3. Call our Land Team on 01903 692952 and we’ll arrange an appraisal of your land.

Selling Land FAQs

How long will it take to sell my land?

This really depends on whether or not your site is being promoted through a SHELAA (Strategic Housing & Economic Land Availability Assessment) or HELAA (Housing and Economic Land Availability Assessment). Has your landholding been promoted through the Neighbourhood Plan? Contact us, and we can make an assessment.

Who is likely to buy my land?

The most likely type of purchaser depends on the size of your landholding. Local, regional and national housing developers are all interested in buying land. However, the largest major developers generally tend to only consider schemes of more than 50 units.

How do I know if I will get planning permission?

The planning system can seem complicated at the best of times. Even if you gain Outline Planning Consent, sometimes it takes longer than a year to gain a consent for reserved matters. We will carry out an assessment of your land viability to give probability, and offer extensive professional guidance to successfully get you through the planning process.

How much is my land worth?

The development potential of your land will be affected by the planning system, supply and demand, comparable sites in your area, and site specific calculations. Your land value is based on density, i.e. square feet per acre. Contact us, and we will give you our professional assessment of your land value.

When will I get paid for the sale of my land for development?

As with selling your house, payment for the sale of your land for development is made on completion. For sites larger than 100 units, developers will very often require deferred payments to allow them to spread the cost.

Why do I have to have affordable housing on my land?

The National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) stipulates that where major development includes the construction of housing, a minimum of 10% of the housing provided should be for affordable home ownership, in order for the development to be granted planning consent.

What is an Option Agreement?

An Option Agreement is a legal contract made between a vendor (landowner) and a purchaser (developer). It gives the option holder the opportunity to purchase the site from the landowner at an agreed price and within a fixed time, the terms of the option having been met.

What is a Promotional Agreement?

A Promotional Agreement is where a site is offered to the open market to establish its value. They are used where a developer agrees to apply for planning consent for a development on a landowner’s property, and market the property for sale once planning consent has been granted.

What is Neighbourhood Planning?

Neighbourhood Planning gives local communities the opportunity to shape the development of their areas. It is a forum that recommends areas within a town or village where development would be supported by the community. For more information on Neighbourhood Plans, see–2

What are CILs?

Community Infrastructure Levies (CILs) should be used to support development by funding infrastructure that the council, local community and neighbourhoods would like to have. They are calculated as a percentage of the square footage of the Open Market units on new developments in their area.

What are SANGs?

SANG stands for Suitable Alternative Natural Greenspace. These are areas of open space reserved for dog walking etc, defined as alternative green space used as mitigation to offset the impact of new development on the recreational use of a Special Protection Area (SPA).

What is sustainable development?

Sustainable development is an integrated approach to social, economic and environmental objectives covering planning, transport, economic and environmental policy, green travel, construction and waste management. It means that any residential development should be within easy access of facilities, transport etc.

Who determines how many units can be built on my land?

This is a decision taken by the relevant Planning Authority. The number of units is normally based on a calculation of between 12 and 16 units per net acre.

What does a 'housing land supply' mean?

Central Government establishes the need for housing based on a forecast of the number of houses they believe should be constructed throughout the country. This number is then divided between County Councils, then onto District Councils. This number of units should be built within a 5 year period.

What happens if there is an Appeal on redeveloping my land?

An Appeal is normally based upon a Local Authority’s refusal to grant a consent through the planning system/committee. If a developer believes the Local Authority or Planning Committee has been unreasonable, then they can appeal against an adverse decision.

My land adjoins Green Belt - can I still sell for residential redevelopment?

If your land does not form part of the Green Belt, it can be considered for residential development. If your land is adjoining the Green Belt, it may still be considered. However, landscaping etc. is vitally important in these instances.

What is the CPRE?

The Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE) is an English pressure group and one of the longest running environmental organisations engaged in scrutinising planning applications and influencing the planning system in an effort to limit urban sprawl and ribbon development.

Do I have to pay Stamp Duty on the sale of my land?

No, Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) is payable by the purchaser, not the seller. Read more about Stamp Duty here.

What is a SHELAA?

A Strategic Housing & Economic Land Availability Assessment (SHELAA) is a technical document that provides information on sites submitted by landowners and agents, regarding potential housing and economic development, in relation to their availability, suitability and achievability. It is a crucial piece of evidence needed to support the Local Plan process.

What is a HELAA?

A Housing & Economic Land Availability Assessment (HELAA) is a technical study that appraises the amount of land available for housing and economic use and determines the suitability, availability and achievability of land for development.


Why Choose Landpro Consultants

A specialist land agent with 30+ years of residential property experience

Unrivalled professional reputation in the South East

Excellent senior-level contacts in the property development industry

Strategic land acquisition/disposal advice, with proven tangible successes

Unique expertise in all areas of residential development consultancy

Option and Promotion Agreement specialists

Call or Email our experienced Land Team in confidence today!